26 October 2023
13:00 UK / 08:00 EST
Disability Inclusion in ICT Webinar Series
Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) underpin many aspects of modern life, including participation in citizenship activities, access to education, employment, and financial independence. Yet, access to ICT is still a major challenge for over 15% of the world's disabled population. This gap in ICT access, also known as the 'digital divide', creates socio-economic and demographic disparities in access to and use of ICT due to factors such as the availability and cost of technology, digital literacy, language, and accessibility, among others. To reduce this digital divide, inclusion and meaningful participation of disabled people are essential in ICT research, design, and application.
This webinar series will explore disability inclusion in ICT in three sessions. Each webinar will include talks from our Inclusive ICT Research Panel followed by interactive discussion and Q&A with the participants.
26 October 2023 | 1:00 – 2:00 PM (GMT+1) | Webinar 1: Defining disability inclusion in ICT
- Banya Ojok, Accessibility Consultant, Uganda
- Dr Selvakumar Ramachandran, MBCS, FRSA, Director, Kerckhoffs Ltd, United Kingdom
02 November 2023 | 1:00 – 2:00 PM (GMT) | Webinar 2: Breaking Down Barriers to Disability Inclusion in ICT
- Ben Watson, Head of Digital Accessibility, UCL
- Pete Donnelly, Founder, Wheelchair Skills
- Sara Rocha, Data Manager, University of Cambridge/EUCAP
09 November 2023 | 1:00 – 2:00 PM (GMT) | Webinar 3: Making Sustainable Change Towards Disability Inclusive ICT
- Yahye Siyad, Accessibility & Inclusion Consultant, Cyber-Duck, Diversity & Ability
- Oladipupo Idris Olalere, Clinical Pathway Research Manager, University of Leeds
- Prof. Catherine Holloway, Academic Director GDI Hub and Professor of Interaction Design and Innovation, UCL
About the speakers
About this event
Live captioning will be available for all lectures throughout this series. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us at email@example.com if you have any accessibility requests that you wish to notify the team about.
About the organiser
This event is hosted by the Global Disability Innovation Hub as part of the EPSRC-funded project Inclusive Public Activities for Information and Communication Technologies (InPACT).