Head of Programmes
Deadline to submit application
To apply for this position send a CV and a covering letter describing how you think your skills and experience are relevant to this role (no more than 2 pages) to the GDI Hub Operations Manager: Mark.Byrne@ucl.ac.uk by Monday 25th November, 2019. Please request an alternative if this format is not accessible to you.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by CoP on Monday 2nd December 2019 with interviews expected to take place on Monday 9th December 2019. We then anticipate a second round of interviews with dates tbc with candidates.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Iain McKinnon, GDI Hub CIC - Director of Operations - email@example.com
GDI Hub’s Head of Programmes will provide strategic operational programme leadership across all GDI Hub initiatives. They will develop and manage a programme reporting regime (capable of satisfying strict grant-funding body requirements), produce detailed and robust management information and be responsible for managing impact across all programmes.
GDI Hub CIC is a relatively new, not-for-profit organization, located within University College London (UCL) that has undergone a period of significant growth. GDI Hub CIC currently leads a large £19.8m programme (AT2030) and is also engaged in approximately 10 other significant research, consultancy and education projects with voluntary, academic and private sector partners resulting in a combined annual turnover of approximately £4m. AT2030 is a DFID funded, global programme with multiple strands of work being delivered by a variety of delivery partners across more than 15 countries. The complexity, as well as the potential for strategic impact, of the AT2030 programme is typical of the type of activity GDI Hub regularly undertakes.
The post holder will lead on the implementation of programme management processes and procedures and will dictate how GDI Hub’s expanding project portfolio is managed into the future. They will ensure all GDI Hub projects are managed in a structured and rigorous fashion reporting on project progress and impact, highlighting and helping to resolve issues, risks and concerns.
Maximising the efficiency of online tools (Microsoft Office 365), the Head of Programmes will establish GDI Hub’s digital programme management approach to ensure a consistent and rigorous approach is being implemented and operational impact is being delivered.
The post holder will work closely with the Operations Manager (who leads on all contractual, legal and financial management) and have line management responsibility for GDI Hub project managers as required. The post reports to the Director of Operations with regular reporting to the GDI Hub Directors and Board.
There is an opportunity here for the role holder to have a real impact to shape the way GDI Hub manages, runs and delivers projects in consultation with GDI Hub Directors and senior staff. The current GDI Hub project portfolio is rich and diverse representing both exciting opportunities and challenges. We are looking for a post holder who will be enthusiastic about making this run smoothly to help drive the best possible impact from investment. Applicants should have good experience in the field and be able to demonstrate their willingness to strive for the very best results for our organisation and therefore our partners and beneficiaries.
- Set up robust and efficient processes for programme management that ensures GDI Hub procedures and policies are implemented on all GDI Hub projects
- Give strategic advice to GDI Hub Directors regarding programme management structures and suggestions for improvements
- Have a strategic programme oversight, produce management information and develop monthly reporting tools and forecasting tools as well as developing other necessary approaches to programme management information for GDI Hub Directors as required
- Oversee the programme delivery of GDI Hub projects ensuring project management processes and procedures are being implemented correctly by GDI Hub project managers
- Line management of GDI Hub project managers as required.
- Provide advice and support to project teams to ensure live projects are being managed efficiently, effectively and consistently
- Maximise and initiate new effective use of existing project management software and tools. GDI Hub currently use Microsoft Office 365 online suite including; OneDrive, SharePoint and Teams (as well as a variety of other apps and non-standard products i.e. ‘Trello’ which should be consolidated)
- Have ownership of a GDI Hub projects register to report to the GDI Hub Directors on progress across all live GDI Hub projects at regular intervals, this includes flagging any issues, risks or concerns and being instrumental in resolving same
- Ensure project management processes and procedures remain fit for purpose and review as and when necessary, working with the team
- Support client and delivery partner relationships, leading on this when necessary and provide clarity to delivery partners on what GDI Hub’s expectations are with regard to programme and project management
- Work closely with the Operations Manager, especially at project inception and regarding GDI Hub project finances and payments
- Any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the Directors of GDI Hub
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list. The need for flexibility, shared accountability and team working is required and the role-holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee's skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
This is a description of the role as it is at present. It is the practice of GDI Hub to review role profiles annually to ensure that they relate to the role being performed. This review will be carried out by the line manager in consultation with the role holder.
Knowledge and experience
Skills and abilities
Personal style and behaviour